14,000¥ What the deuce?

Posted by meronpan on October 2, 2008

Browsing various online stores I’m come across the following figure a couple times…

Pic taken from hobby search, click for listing

Am I missing something here? 14k yen?  Ok sure, she’s cold cast and cold cast are usually pretty pricey… But from the pic it doesn’t seem like any amazing detail went into her outfit, she’s definitely not giving off her trademark 爆乳 {bakunyuu (lit. exploding breasts)} aura… ^^;  Also, this is quite possibly the most cylindrical sonsaku I’ve ever seen.

And yet… 14000 yen!!  I’m all for a little variation… but she seems so plain!  I guess I haven’t actually seen any review pics so maybe she’s better than this pic suggests…? ^^;;

While we’re on the subject of sonsaku figures I could never justify buying…

Pic taken from hobby search.   Click for listing

Pic taken from hobby search. Click for listing

I like the idea of this figure well enough. Chopsticks in the mouth, holding some takoyaki, fundoshi (is that what it is?), shirt just barely containing her eyes… But something in the execution really kills it for me. Maybe it’s the face? or the hair? Something about this figure just feels really “flat” to me…

..and to top it off… this figure is also 14,000 yen!! This time we’re dealing with polystone… but again, it doesn’t come close to having a chance at justifying the price for me.

I don’t mean to attack anyone who bought and/or loves these figures… I’m just at a loss as to what people appreciate in them and motivate them to drop so much money for them.  So if you’re of that frame of mind, let me know what I’m missing out on~

Either of these figures the one for you?

12 Responses to “14,000¥ What the deuce?”

holy hell… the first one is just way way way overpriced for what it looks like, and the second one uh, I think it’s the eyebrows, and the head just doesn’t look right on that body.. idk but no, neither of these are for me that’s for sure

2. Panther said

The cold cast is the thing, Meronpan. They ask hefty prices for cold cast all the time, going up to 30K. After all, cold cast is like a step up from even ABS/PVC mixes.

3. Eetaku said

I have a cold cast of Sonsaku, the wet hair one where she looks completely nude. I only bought it because I got it at a discount. I do like how it feels heavier, but to justify an even higher price than what PVC figures are it better be super detailed. (ie. bakunyuu as you stated)

I wondered about exactly the same thing as you.Especially about the first figure.Its a boring idea and a bad execution of it.
    I like the theme of the second figure but its not too well executed either.The festival line also has a Ryomou and Kanu and they look a lil bit better but not too much tough

@persocom blegh, yeah there’s just nothing about the head on the second one i like. such a shame cuz i think it could’ve been pretty good.

@panther yeah, i realize it’s cold cast and that increases the price… it’s just… well, i guess my question is, if you’re going to go through the trouble of releasing a cold cast (and thus limit your target market), why release such lackluster figures? ^^;; Personally I’d buy a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th copy of kurushima’s kanu before I bought one of these.

@eetaku i also like the idea of cold cast… as you say, nice and heavy, sturdy, you know it’s gonna hold up through the years (barring any clumsiness ^^;). so yeah, i feel the premium is what it is… but it then raises the bar for my expectations of the figure’s quality.

@blowfish yeah, i’d also definitely go with kanu or ryomou in that festival line, but as you stated… they’re not that much better ^^;;

6. The second one’s head looks really small and poorly done to me.

@pure trance indeed -_- seems like a waste of, errr… polystone ^^;

As what panther said, it’s “cold cast” and with this material, ur expected to pay a high price for it.
    Even when I win the lotto, I will still say no.
    Where’s the detail? T_T

9. gordon said

with that price i can buy at least 2 or 3 PVC figures or 6 figmas.

@optic hahah even if you win the lotto eh? ^^;

@gordon totally… and they could be figures i like ^^;

I can’t imagine these figures being worth the cold cast as well as their prices given how they have appeared. Agreed with Gordon that I could have used 14000 Yen for many other stuff, be it scaled figures (2 to 3?), figmas, 1/144 tanks (more than 20), or various gunpla models!

@q 20 tanks! that sounds awesome ^_^