Continuing Pre-order Woes
Posted by meronpan on December 4, 2008
Huge order rant incoming, TLDR version: Kid Nemo canceled 2 more figures on me -_-
If you’ve gone through my figure store review page, you probably guessed from the post title that this was going to be about more trouble at Kid Nemo. This time it’s Alpha x Omega’s Konjiki no Yami and Wave’s Shiro that have been mercilessly wiped (read: canceled by Kid Nemo’s suppliers) from my order. Thanks a lot Kid Nemo, it’s only a few months after release and the figures are still in stock at other stores!
I swear, Kid Nemo needs to do something about their terrible supplier(s). To date, Kid Nemo has canceled 21% of the figures I’ve ordered through them, and there are still 5 more whose fate are in question. I don’t know about you, but I prefer to pre-order a figure, not an 80% chance to order a figure. 21% means for every 5 figures ordered, I don’t get one of them!!! GAH.
Here’s the current list of casualties:
- Wave Shiro
- Alpha Omega Konjiko no Yami
- Shueisha Sairenji
- Omega Supreme (re-release of an old Transformer toy I got for my brother)
- Megahouse Airi
- Megahouse Ymir
So many annoying things about these cancellations.
- The figures haven’t been rare or limited
- I’ve been able to find them in stock elsewhere (i.e. months after release when I was finally notified of the cancellation). Of course, this is good for me – I can still get the figures, but bad from a logical point of view. That is, what the heck is their problem filling my order?!
- I always have to initiate the inquiry for the stock status. Not once has Kid Nemo taken the initiative to alert me of the cancellation.
- Had a handful of questions go without replies, which makes it extra annoying trying to keep up on my order status. So not only do I have to make sure to check up on things, they don’t even reply sometimes!
Because of all this uncertainty over my orders, I even went and made a document which I call “Kid Nemo contingency plan” — it’s where I keep track of the stock status of my ordered figures at other stores, so if Kid Nemo cancels on me I know what my options are going elsewhere. I’ve never had an online store drive me to such lengths. Hayate was my last ‘must have’ on the list, but I took that into my own hands – ordered at hobby search when pre-orders reopened (love the e-mail notification system), canceled her from my Kid Nemo order as soon as she arrived.
So why am I putting up with all of this? Well, it does help put some of these orders in perspective. For example, I think I may abandon Shiro rather than reordering her at hlj. With my collection overrunning my room the 6000￥ price tag feels pretty steep for a 1/8 Wave figure of a schoolgirl standing by a brick column ^^; For the rest of my orders I’ll be trying to find alternative sources, but probably will just deal with it if I can’t get them at a reasonable price elsewhere.
On the bright side… they’re updating the order status with the delivery confirmation number when the order ships. Since you get e-mailed when your order status is updated, that means you are once again notified once your package is shipped (yes, they had stopped sending out notifications at one point!). Small consolation… orz Anyhow, I’ll have to update my figure store review page sometime…
Blegh. Well, had to get that out of my system. Sooooo, are the other wordpress.com users enjoying 2.7? I think I like it, although not too much of a difference for the things I do… though they did fix the multi-file upload. Hallelujah!
Update: doubt anyone cares, but for consistency the pics are clickable for the full size (guess wordpress 2.7 has a bug that doesn’t make the default link or something?)