ぼくらの Bokurano

Posted by meronpan on March 26, 2009

Are you ever drawn to an anime/games/etc by music alone?  Happens to me from time to time, recently thanks to the song アンインストール (Uninstall).

Really love the vocals ^_^  Found out it was the OP to ぼくらの (bokurano) and was immediately interested.

Quick Japanese lesson.  Boku == I (normally used by males, slightly informal.  young boys and young adults use it most commonly I believe). -ra is an ending that makes the subject plural – so in this case, bokura == we.  If you say omaera (omae == you, informal), it means you (plural, i.e. you guys).  Finally -no in this case makes the word a possesive, modifying bokura (we) into “our”/”ours”.  Usually it’s followed by another word, such as, ‘bokura no sekai’ == ‘our world’ or ‘watashi no manga’ == ‘my manga’.

Anyhow I actually first stumbled upon the song because it was the final track of one of the exit trance CDs I bought!  Here’s that version (which I love as well):

Haven’t gotten around to actually watching (or reading… it’s originally from a manga), but it seems like the premise is interesting enough… teenagers fighting to save the world.  I don’t want to spoil anything but to elaborate just a tiiiny bit, the circumstances under which they fight are somewhat dire… which seemed to fit really well with OP ^^

You already familiar?  What did ya think?  Planning on checking it out?  Hopefully I’ll have time eventually…

22 Responses to “ぼくらの Bokurano”

1. Jura said

Where were you all this time?

Good anime, even though I don’t like the animation quality. Very bland. I also hear the story is very dulled down compared to the manga. The mangaka is known for the very depressing and twisted stories with kids.

2007 was when i was just getting back into anime… back then and even today i don’t really follow anime blogs (i’m almost always behind and stay away from spoilers so it’s kinda pointless ^^;)… had no idea what was on/popular or what ^^; Finally, I’m more inclined to try out the slice of life, (romantic) comedy, visual novel conversions, etc. myself… but for other genres i kinda wait for things to distill down so i can pick off the quality stuff

*ahem* anyhow, i did make an exception to my spoiler policy for this series… i’m of like mind with you regarding the art – it didn’t look particularly appealing. ‘Cuz of that and since my queue is so large… i just went ahead and read what i could about it… general feeling seemed to be hit or miss and it was kinda universally accepted that the manga does things differently… hopefully i’ll have time to evaluate for myself someday…

2. I remember when I first heard the Bokurano OP! Fell in love with it right away.

I haven’t watched it yet, but it seems like people that have read the original manga thought the anime didn’t do it justice. The plot does indeed seem very interesting though.

songs like this and kanashimi no mukou e really strike a chord with me, love it ^^ perhaps i’ll pick up the manga next time i’m kinokuniya and give it a try… i am a sucker for sticking to source material…

Know the song very well -__- There used to be a time like year or half year ago when ppl were requesting this on animeinfo radio all the time -_- Song is good but when you hear it each day (atleast once) it gets on nerves ^^

Bout show Bokurano dunno. Havent seen yet, but know about it cuz of this song ^^

So yes there are some animes that I went and add to list thx to OST ^^ Either song was nice or I found cover looking good (nice character animation).

PS: what is the exact name of the CD with that trance. I am trying to find picture that was used on cover of it on internet (those two nekomimi phone gals on it)

4. If some main characters die, it’s on my watch list ^^ I’m weird, I like watching main characters die…makes the story more intriguing.

I love the song even though I don’t know what she’s singing about ^^; This is the good thing about music, you don’t need to understand the words to enjoy them.

well, if you read kesenaitsumi’s response below you might think it’s a major spoiler but i believe that info is revealed very early in the show, so technically it’s not? at any rate, yes, if main characters dying is a plot device you enjoy, i think this will be right up your alley?

hahah yeah, even though i could translate if i listen closely i’m usually not paying too much attention to the words ^^;; key phrases will stand out though and add to my enjoyment thou (like the h2o OP, love the chorus ^^)

• T.I.P. said

Hahaha, yeah this is right up my alley. I hate watching war-themed anime/drama/movie/what-have-you-nots and not seeing anyone die. Come on, it’s a war!!!!

I know it’ll probably be more popular if everyone survives, or everyone turns out to be a good guy in the end *cough* Nan…*cough* Strike…*cough* (some kind of fan service?), but…seriously, you have all those special powers and incredible machines…but you can’t manage to kill a single soul?

Notable anime/movies that I like because of this (spoilers? please edit it out if you think so meronpan) are: Gladiator, Infernal Affairs, Xenoglossia, UC0083: Stardust Memory, and Code Geass R2. That’s all I can think of atm…

5. kesenaitsumi said

>Theinfernoproject , Yes, Every character in the series die except one last main character….

I watched the anime but don’t really like it. The storyline is very gloomy and in every episode, a character will die after using all of his life-strength to fight off huge robots.

But I think it really depend. One of my friend like it very much and opened a blog named “bokuranoyume”.

Anyway, like the song too ^^

whoawhoawhoa! spoilers! …is what i would normally say, but i’ve already spoiled the whole thing for myself :P also, i guess in this case, you figure out those details pretty early on so it’s not late a late story reveal…

i don’t mind tragedies but from what i was reading it sounds like a lot of the power of character death gets sucked out by having it be such a common occurrence. obviously these are just speculation until i actually watch the show, but it just seems unlikely that i’ll form an emotional bond with many of the characters before they meet their predestined demise.

until i get around to it, i’ll just enjoy the op i guess ^^

• T.I.P. said

Not a problem, since it wouldn’t be on my watch list if I didn’t know people were gonna die. It’s gonna be fun watching how they die ^^; *Puts Bokurano on watch list.*

6. anon said

Even more interesting is the singer (Chiaki something, can’t be bothered to look her up again). When I first heard this song I thought it sounds like it was sung by an older woman. When I saw the PV in Youtube, I was surprised to see a woman around mid-20s singing… then I was doubly surprised when I found out later that she was actually almost 40 years old! She looked really great in her PVs, not so much in her wiki page.

As for the show, it was good except for the Gonzo CG. Damn ugly robots.

hahaha, guess her makeup was done really well ^^;

blegh, i hate bad cg… i pray that studios do it do to more easily animate complex machinery, which i can at least kinda sympathize with. if they do it because they think it looks cool… fail.

If u don’t have time, then u make time because this series is not to be missed. xD
    It’s one of my best series and I’m getting the DVD’s when it’s out. I was so hooked in the OP, I couldn’t sleep until I played it at least twice. xD

ahh, looks like you’re in the two thumbs up camp ^^ problem with serious shows like this is that i have to be in the mood to watch… guess we’ll see ^^;

8. Panther said

Where the hell were you when we were all over Uninstall 2 years ago? Bokurano is also a good anime but according to manga readers, the manga is better. It diverted (ANN had a news post about this at the time) from episode 10 onwards from the manga.

i was just getting back to the anime scene as i mentioned to jura above ^^;; i was secretly hoping the series was lame so i wouldn’t be obliged to add it to my queues but guess i’ll have to check it out ^^;;

All I’ve heard about Bokurano was Uninstall, and just found out recently that it’s by Chiaki Ishikawa (石川智晶). When she was still in See-Saw she did the endings for Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny, and most recently she’s also done the first ending for second season of Gundam 00. Definitely a competent singer.

And guess what, she’s turning 40 on 29th this month o_O

argh i need to watch gundam. i also notcied chiaki did gundam songs so now i’m curious on that front also… the terrible downward spiral for the akiba-kei enthusiast… everything’s so interrelated!

not familiar with it, but I’ve heard of it. might check it out some day when I have the time. I like the op song