東方紅魔郷 (eosd) – Normal 1cc!
Posted by meronpan on August 4, 2009
Well, so it took about a month and I had to settle for starting with 5 lives, but I’ve cleared my first touhou without continuing!! Figures after I go telling punynari how I like using reimuB that I actually beat the game with marisaB ^^;
Been experimenting with converting the replay for youtube – think the quality turned out pretty good. If you’d like to see what touhou is like and/or how bad I am, take a look – stages 1-3, stages 4 & 5, stage 6 (all of ’em also embedded below).
Stage 2 Boss チルノ a.k.a. ⑨ – Stopped thinking and moved wrong during ⑨’s opening spray of bullets. Bombed as I freaked out -_-
Stage 3 Midboss 中国 – Bad positioning during her opening attack lead to another bomb… then I die shortly thereafter orz
I absolutely hate losing a life before stage 4. Yet for some reason lately I keep getting hit by 中国 or *sob* ⑨ (or having to bomb -_-). I think that’s been messing up my reimuB playthroughs lately… I’ll die early on and lose my concentration and die some more. At least in this play through I manage to avoid actually dying on Cirno, but it still shakes my concentration.
Stage 3 Boss 中国 – I top things off by using two bombs to finish her off orz
Stage 4, Before koakuma – Freak out during the green stuff and bomb.
Stage 4 Boss Patchouli Knowledge – Thought I wasn’t gonna make it through rage trilithon and bombed. Was actually dodging things for once in metal fatigue but couldn’t keep it up and was out of bombs (so I die). That death had me on edge and ended up bombing during wafer elf.
Now begins the bomb spam. Well, actually I do successfully pull off a nice little trick which not only trivializes the midboss version of sakuya’s initial attack, but nets me a ton of graze. You can see it during the video, but for a full explanation, I go thru it in the tips later.
Stage 5 Midboss sakuya – Was going fine until I positioned myself too high and freaked out during misdirection. I also finish off sakuya too early and fail as usual during the following spam -_- ‘nother bomb used.
Stage 5 Boss sakuya – Right as boss she opens up I decide to fly right into some bullets, wasting a life and bomb… more bad positioning on clock corpse, respond with a bomb…. felt trapped before lunar (luna?) clock engaged, spend another bomb… aaand right as lunar clock starts, i bomb again… after lunar clock i’m out of bombs, fail to dodge, and die… yet again I fail to avoid knives. bomb… thought i was in the clear, then sakuya freezes time and gets close and personal. didn’t want to risk dying and bombed to finish her off.
Even having bombed that much I’m able to start stage 6 with 6 lives and 1 bomb in stock. At this point I’m thinking, well crap, I didn’t need to start with 5 lives after all. Of course I was terribly wrong…
Was doing fine during opening spam. Then I decide to run into a bullet and die, wasting a bomb in stock. I bomb out of the expanding bullet rings. Was spooked by the earlier death and didn’t want to risk wasting 3 bombs… Then I go and die on sakuya, wasting 2 bombs in stock, and again freaked out, bomb to finish her off. Seeing a pattern? I bomb to get through remelia’s opening attack -_- Get through star of david but end up bombing twice to get to scarlet netherworld. The second bomb was totally because i wasn’t familiar with the spell card and positioned myself right in front of her as she prepared to unload a barrage in my face.
Curse of Vlad – was sitting there innocently enough at the bottom and just let that knife hit me. Real great. At least I had used all my bombs. Was finishing it off but wasn’t paying attention to remilia’s life and waste a bomb as I depleted her life -_- Stupidly die with 2 bombs stocked trying to get to scarlet shoot. Then I die with THREE bombs stocked failing to dodge scarlet shoot. Totally freaked out now, so I bomb the rest of scarlet shoot, robbing me of the opportunity to zap remilia as she begins red magic.
You’d think 1 extra life and 2 bombs would be plenty for red magic? Well for me, just barely. Bomb the crap out of her (which she’s immune to), chipping down her life bit by bit in between. Expend my last bomb with 1/6 of her life left or so, thought I was done for… but thankfully not! I crawl away with my first 1cc ^^;
It took about a month and was really sloppy (especially during the end) but I’m ecstatic to have this milestone under my belt. Most importantly it opened up the extra stage, and I was finally able to face flandre! She’s… a beast ;_; Gonna be a while before I take her down…
Tips for EoSD Touhou Beginners from a Touhou Beginner ^^;
On the off chance that a fellow touhou enthusiast is playing eosd for their first touhou and happens upon this blog, thought I’d share some things I thought were important/woulda helped me out if somehow had explained. Probably lots of obvious stuff for shmup veterans… and I’m no expert myself, but hopefully I’m not too far off the mark ^^;;
1. Score points! It took a while before I realized I needed to get that score up to gain those extra lives. I was so focused on just staying alive at first it was actually hurting me! In eosd you get a life at 10, 20, 40 and 60 million points.
2. Get your power up fast! I was sort of lazily collecting power ups in the first stage until I realized I could be at 60ish power when engaging the stage 1 boss and max power shortly after cirno (mid-boss). You can probably even do a lot better (I suck at collecting power ups ;_;). This ties into #1 because once you’re at max power you can use the auto-collect to get max-value point items.
3. Sometimes you’re killing yourself. I was ready to just accept the fact that I wasn’t good enough to beat sakuya’s second phase mid-boss form until I watched a replay and noted how easy it was to dodge everything — don’t move! Many enemies target you so if you’re flying all over the place the screen gets covered in bullets and you’re digging your own grave. In the sakuya case each wave is separately targeted so stay in place while her red knives (kunai?) fly out, then you’ll have a brief moment to adjust and freeze again before she starts firing the blue knives. If you do it right, everything comes out in nice, easy to dodge rows.
4. It doesn’t hurt to cheese. :P Sometimes it’s even the key to a high score. My favorite move is the one I got from watching kagamin’s replay – for sakuya’s mid-boss first phase, you can simply hover above her the whole time. The kicker is that not only are you perfectly safe, but you also rack up a ton of graze. After the initial spray, she’ll settle into a pattern, starting with blue knives from left to right (sakuya’s right to left). If you position yourself on her left shoulder you should not be hit, while damaging her. As the knives fan out, simply move to sakuya’s right shoulder and you’ll remain safe. Then, before she’s done with her barrage, move upwards to avoid colliding with her as she moves around. Rinse and repeat. Takes a bit longer than hitting her straight on but the safety, added graze, and the fact that you *want* to drain the time make it all worth it. (or at least, I desperately need that time drain. The ensuring chaos after you down her is often unmaneagable for me ;_; If you take long enough on sakuya, you avoid it entirely). You can see me using this technique at about 6:04 in the stage 4 & 5 vid.
5. Bombs ftw. I am really horrible at using bombs. I have this stupid tendency to conserve them… wanting to save them until I really need them. That has really hindered my progress. If you’re of like mind, think about it this way – each bomb is like an extra life since it gets you out of an impossible situation. You gain 2 extra lives from items and 4 from points during a normal playthrough. 6 lives * 3 bombs each == 18 extra times you can mess up! Add in the 3 lives you start with (or 5, if you’re giving yourself the best chance for a no-continue clear) and that’s 27 bombs & 8 deaths (would game over on the 9th) or 35 mistakes to be made. Maybe I’m the only one suffering from this complex but I had to break it down like that to help overcome my stinginess with bombing ^^; Makes those full bomb deaths 3x worse!
Other games have penalties and you do get less points at the end if you don’t have as many bombs in stock but in eosd you mostly benefit from bomb use. Because bullets are converted to star items during the bomb, high level players expend their bombs to maximize score.
6. Flandre is so mean ;_;
7. Master spark is really awesome when you’re like me and can’t deal with bosses for very long ^^; It lasts for freaking ever. However remilia will make you pay because during her final life bar she goes invulnerable when you bomb orz. I learned recently that flandre is also immune to ’em in general.
Alrighty, that’s enough touhou from me ^^;; Figures are in the mail so some reviews should be comin up in the next couple weeks (though I will have to go out of town for work so that may delay things -_-).