ちょっとYmir

Posted by meronpan on October 24, 2009

This time it’s Ymir for my equipment test shots.  Again not really a full review, just trying out the soft box I acquired recently ^^

ymir0y

Got the soft box for a few reasons – first of all wanted more lights to attempt some white bg stuff in the future.  Second of all wanted the more powerful bulb it came with (listed as 75W but found an 85W in the box! my current bulbs are only 25W or so).  Thirdly got this one ‘cuz it was dirt cheap (relatively ^^;)!  $40 and it came with the bulb!  (no stand though)

Though I was interested in trying to do better with white, ended up using the soft box as my main light and was fooling around to see how it would turn out.

ymir07

I think ‘cuz of the distance I was able to manage between ymir and the bg it looks a lot better than my previous wrinkle-filled shots.

ymir03

Wrinkles are still there but out of focus, personally I think it even manages to make the shot more interesting.

Since the softbox has a flat surface I decided to try some silhouette shots for fun.

ymir05

I guess it turned out as expected… but it’s really a lot more interesting when your background is interesting ^^;;;

Was bored and threw some photoshop at it ^^;

ymir06

Sorry loli lovers, no cast off shots today :P

ymir01

Was really pleased with the purchase.  The bulb is bright as all heck, before I had to be f/2.8 or f/3.5  to get 1/10-ish shutter speeds… now I can get that at f/5.6! ^^  Light’s nice and well… soft :P, now I just need to free up more time for more pics!

Blowfish has a real review for you, including a detailed look at her cast off features for those interested ^^ did i mention she has fancy pantsu?

27 Responses to “ちょっとYmir”

1. YuKi-To said

yep, really like the 3rd shot.. shadows and the wrinkles make it interesting! ;3

2. Wow, ymir is really not a good candidate for lighting experiment. She lacks red and some vivid colors. Did you try the setting with other figures?

hmm true, not very colorful ^^; i was so focused on seeing how the light output of the higher wattage bulb would be it didn’t occur to me to see how the colors behaved ^^;

3. Tommy said

No cast off…no pantsu…you have no idea how disappointed I am.

Just kidding, I’m not that crazy about Ymir anymore after finding out she’s a dwarf…and not a loli. *pffft*

Really nice stuff, I will add the softbox to my get list. ^^

Nice, I should look into softbox and light stands at alternative dealers around here since the ones at photography stores are gruesomely expensive.

Still need to review/photography 4 figures. >_<

Theres definately something about this colour variation but in the end I went for pink :P

Youre really experimenting now with your photography eh? Thats pretty neat.I actually wonder if youre experimenting only with figure photography or other disciplines too.

Oh and thanks for the link ^^

nothing wrong with pink ^^

i’ve been trying to take more pics in general but i’ve still got a ways to go for that… much different trying photograph people… can’t be fiddling around with settings and taking 4-5 pics to get things just right ^^; i hate to solve a problem just by throwing more money at it but i think in this case another lens and/or flash would really help ^^;;

I like the second and third pics. Whats the name of the photoshop effect you did??

re: photoshop i assume you’re talking about the 5th pic? just did find edges, then created a new layer with a gradient and blended with either screen or overlay.

And Holey Moley!
    I just saw the Queens Blade Rebellion Yumiru!

I just crapped my pants! Thats like if Megahouse knows how to take the money outta my wallet

wow, they have a figure of the rebellion version planned? had no idea.

the pose looked a little plain from the pic though?… she’s just standing straight with her arms at her sides? will have to look around for some bigger pics…

8. Tier said

I like the silhouette shot, it has kinda a nice high-contrast inverted effect.

When I first tried to take pictures on a white field, a lot of my photos turned out really gray since I didn’t have sufficient lighting. Now I’m thinking that’s not an entirely bad thing, since it gives a nice muted background that lets the figure stand out.

doumo ^^

i keep forgetting gray is fine too but i guess my goal of a nice white bg has distracted me ^^; i should prolly just focus on working with gray until i can get a proper light box or otherwise set up…

9. Haha, got new gear I see. Lovely Ymir, though I think I prefer her standard color more.

10. Thx I’m not a lolicon. No cast off = no prob.
    hehe love the axe ;3

11. A short photo shot but enjoyable. Coup de coeur for the last one : Ymir’s back.
    Lighting effect is faultless. Good job!