Wet Figure Pics

Posted by meronpan on November 3, 2009

More test pics with my new light in preparation for incoming fates.  One fate i should be able to pick up tomorrow, the other due out later this month ^__^

ryokowet02

Wasn’t actually going for the wet look, but wanted to wash off the figures i was going to shoot and didn’t want to go through the trouble of drying them/waiting for them to dry.

To be honest there’s just something that doesn’t really do it for me with the water… droplets look unnatural i guess…  If i had actually been trying to be artistic or something maybe I woulda tried to disperse the drops to make them finer/more natural… guess that’s what i get for being lazy :P

ryokowet01

On the other hand I think I’m happy with how the pics turned out otherwise.  Sharp as ever thanks to my trusty macro lens and tripod ^__^

ryokowet03

I believe Rin hasn’t gotten any/much love on this blog…

wetrin01

Picked her up at fanime i think?

rinwet02

A pretty cheap kotobukiya figure to keep saber company… not terribly unsatisfied with the purchase :P

rinwet03

This rin is one of those that is bolted down to her base.

rinlegs

panchira~

rinlowangle

mishiro is another figure i haven’t gotten around to reviewing yet ^^;

mishiro01

There was/seemed to be a lot of hype around the shuraki figures at the time… kinda disappointed they never came around with the followup series.

mishiro03

On the other hand I’m glad to not have been lulled into another whole series of purchases ^^;

mishiroblade

mishiro has kind of a… what to say… generic moe?  school girl + dual wielding katana’s?  Almost seems forced or something? ^^;;;  I don’t mind though.  Katana wielding babes suki dakara na~

mishirofoot

Ryoko’s tights provided some interesting patterns to the background above ^^;

mishiro02

One last one… kemeko!  Didn’t wash her ‘cuz… well, i hate putting her tentacle tube things back on ^^;

kemeko

Didn’t really edit any of these so hopefully the colors and such turned out alright.

I gotta get around to taking more pics, even if not for reviews.  Had fun with this session and it’s a good motivator for keeping my figures clean.

33 Responses to “Wet Figure Pics”

1. Retto said

Nice photos as usual mate hehe.
    And I have to agree something about the wet look just makes them look, well, a little odd.

2. Yeah, the way water forms beads on figures instead spreading out makes it look unappealing to me. Doesn’t really look natural and makes you realize it’s just a molded piece of material >_<

I totally agree that this isnt looking natural but on the other hand take a look at those food photographers and how much time its taking them to make things look “natural”

my thought process at the time was basically:

–hmm who should i take pics of?
      –crap everyone’s dusty
      –time to wash ’em off!
      –ugh don’t wanna dry ’em
      –maybe that’ll look cool
      *take pics*
      –… …
      –dang it.

i should know better than to expect great things from laziness ^^;;

• Blowfish said

So do you always was your figures?
        Im kinda afraid that the dried water would leave stains on the figure

well, just that lately i’ve been grabbing figures i haven’t shot in a while so they’re really dusty. washing them has proven a lot more effective than air/dusting with brushes (fine dust is a real pain -_-).

the water can indeed leave marks so i usually dry them with an air blower/tissue.

A spray duster would get you a better effect since the droplets would be smaller yes. But they might still look too big…

Ah, such a shame I was never able to get a hold of Asakura Ryoko bunny girl version…

5. Ryoko bunny is HOT, I should think about doing another photo shoot for her with my new camera and light umbrella setup~ The droplets may not be very realistic, but it has their own charm in a way, wet Ryoko bunny, who doesn’t want that!

Looking forward to seeing more water droplets effect photos~

6. The Ryoko bunny looks OK aside from the bits on the face. The rest, as others have said, don’t quite look right as their clothing should absorb the water so you wouldn’t get the drops.
    Then again, the wet look is really hard to get right. I tried to do it once on one of my figures, but with a more permanent result. Didn’t quite work out as planned…

7. Tier said

I wonder what happened to the Shuraki stuff too. I sorta thought they’d turn it into an anime, but that never happened (kinda the reverse of how I thought that Zettai Shougeki Platonic Heart anime would spawn a bunch of figures but never did). I really liked those figures, since they looked pretty good, were real cheap, and you could take off their clothes.

yeh, i wouldn’t have been surprised if it went anime, but to my knowledge they didn’t even follow up with that second set of characters ^^;

the cast off was nice in that the shitagi/battle dmg/normal looks were all pretty nice. bad part (for me at least) was that it was murder trying to switch modes ^^;

8. dreaming Artemis said

You’re right, the water droplets do seem odd but I have to hand it to you, it does look good nonetheless.

We love you Rin!!!
    Droplets look good and makes this photoshoot different.
    Good pictures. XD

10. Tommy said

OMG, I love that Kemeko + Nendo combo. I’m so sad that I didn’t pick them up when I had the chance…not once, but five times! Instead, I used the money to buy a bunch of figures that aren’t even displayed now. “orz

I’m grateful that they didn’t follow through with the series as well because that’d be the end of my savings account. Can you imagine (or don’t want to think) of GSC releasing Shuraki S-2, S-3, S-4…it’s not right.

think i partly got kemeko for the nendo combo gimmick but personally i think it works really well ^^ too bad ya passed on her ^^;;;

i might actually be able to resist shuraki now that i’m not so obsessed with (new) sets. currently more inclined to invest in established series… instead of original character stuff

Water droplets with figures… Kinda unusual, but the one that goes well due to the matcihng texture would probably be Ryoko in bunny suit IMHO.

12. Orcinus said

If you’re just going to do this all over again inside a lightbox, well, I suggest stopping right now.

If you’re not trying an artistic, conceptual photo that focuses on the abstracttion of form when water on a surface, and instead just doing wet figures, you’re taking away context for the wetness.

…? i’m not sure where you got the idea that i was actively trying for something artistic or wanted try this again. i’ll just assume you didn’t read my post or comments…

thanks for the advice…? i guess? i would suggest not talking down to people when trying to help them

• Orcinus said

Well, I am just suggesting on building up your concept. But, I do like the form that you got by having the close-up shot of the sword blade + droplet earlier.

13. The Envoy said

All that sweat….

Seeing that droplets of water on Mishiro’s katana reminds me of my shaky hand. Did you use tripod for that shot? It’s pretty hard grabbing that camera steady for a small object like that.

yeah, i’m pretty much always using a tripod for figure shots. for macro stuff especially, unless i can get up to 1/600 or so shutter speed my shaky hand requires i use a tripod